woman using her smartphone

March 9, 2020 2 min to read

Tips and tricks for overcoming your social media addiction

Category : Health, Hobby

Statistically, people worldwide spend 1.77 hours a day on social media. Young people aged 16 to 24 spend 2.68 hours a day surfing social networks. It represents almost 1,000 hours per year!

The data, although a bit surprising, come from a major pollster called GlobalWebIndex. The company regularly conducts a large-scale international survey on social networks, polling more than 50,000 people aged 16 to 64.

Despite its name (“tele” – “far,” and “⁠phone” – “sound”), our telephone only emits sounds 15% to 20% of the time we use it. That means that the remaining 80% is spent on surfing the Internet.

80% of users consult their cell phones for no less than 15 minutes after waking up! All of this goes to shows how dependent we have grown on these tools and the “information” they contain.

More Reasonable Canadians?

Do Canadians spend a lot of time on social media? It may surprise you, but in Canada, people spend half of their time on social networks.

For example, Argentines, Brazilians, Indonesians, Mexicans, Filipinos, South Africans, Thais, and Turks easily “beat” them.

The frequency with which Canadians surf social media is roughly equivalent to that of France, Germany, and the United States (countries whose economic development is comparable to that of ours).

It is funny, and I would rather believe that the opposite is the case. It is also possible that in some countries, cell phones are used more often than regular ones.

Are We Addicted?

We often talk about “dependence” on social networks. But can we really become “addicted” to it, as we can be, for example, to drugs or gambling?

In fact, yes, and this is not surprising since all these addictions work in much the same way. When you’re addicted, certain regions of your brain (also referred to as centers of pleasure) – are stimulated to secrete dopamine.

That is how we get our daily dose of happiness, so to say. After some time, we get used to it and want to get more. The drugs work the same way, but their effect is more pronounced and long-lasting.

It seems that tweets, Facebook messages we look for have the capacity for making us secrete dopamine. And this, in turn, means we can easily be subject to dependence, the importance of which should not be underestimated.

My Own Addiction

Those who know me also know that for a few years now, I have been using social networks quite heavily. Of course, for me, Facebook is a professional means of communication. And still…
 
Continue reading the article and learn more about this addiction on Daisy Linden’s blog.
 
 

You may also like these articles

  • 5 ways to protect your hearing during loud events and activities
    Hearing is among the five core senses a human being is blessed with which is considered as being vital for normal functioning.Our sense of hearing is what helps connect us with others around as well as the surrounding areas.However, according to statistics released via ...
  • Distinguishing myths vs facts about popular healthy living trends
    Health trends lately are a dime a dozen. For every concern you have, there is an exercise regimen or a diet that promises you results.You begin to wonder, what is a myth and what is conjecture. Has medicine become so infiltrated by commerce that it is being used as a ma...
  • 10 fun activities to do with your kids during the coronavirus crisis
    Disengaging oneself socially during the coronavirus pandemic couldn’t be that easy for anyone, which is undoubtedly true for parents.Rather than sending their kids to school, lessons, parks, and playdates to keep them entertained, parents and children are stuck in the c...
  • The roulette wheel, a game of chance and math
    Ever since the dawn of men, we have been gambling one way or another. Today, there are many gambling games that are offered both in live casinos and the online ones, but few can match the popularity and allure of roulette.Roulette has been around for centuries now and w...

Leave a comment